SCIENTIFIC EVALUATION OF VALLI PANCHMOOLA – DIFFERENT COMPOSITIONS THROUGH PHARMACOGNOSTICAL AND PHYTOCHEMICAL METHODOLOGYAbstract
Objective: This study aimed at ensuring the different compositions of Valli panchmoola using authentic herbs and establishing pharmacognostical, physicochemical, and phytochemical standards for the compositions. Methods: Compositions of Vallli panchmoola were prepared as per the formula and procedure mentioned in traditional texts and Ayurvedic Formulary of India. The prepared compositions were evaluated for pharmacognostical, physicochemical, and phytochemical parameters using guidelines of the World Health Organization and Pharmacopoeial Laboratory for Indian Medicines for quality control of herbal drugs. Results: Microscopic studies revealed the presence of collenchyma cells, rosette crystals, compound starch grains, parenchyma cells, cluster crystal, etc. Loss on drying 0.17 ± 0.01%, total ash 1.87 ± 0.02%, etc. were observed in the classical group. Whereas loss on drying 0.10 ± 0.04%, total ash 1.77 ± 0.02%, etc. were observed in group-1. Preliminary phytochemical screening confirms the presence of alkaloids, flavonoids, glycosides, fatty acids, terpenoids, sterols, tannins, proteins, and phenolic compounds. Conclusion: The various pharmacognostical, physicochemical, and phytochemical standards will help in quality control/quality assurance and maintaining batch to batch consistency in herbal drug industries so that maximum therapeutic efficacy can be achieved.
U. B. Ashani *, C. R. Harisha and V. J. Shukla
Department of Pharmacognosy Lab, IPGT & RA, Gujarat Ayurved University, Jamnagar, Gujarat, India.
28 June 2018
12 September 2018
19 January 2019
01 March 2019