DIVERSE STRATEGIES TO BOOST UP SOLUBILITY OF POOR WATER SOLUBLE DRUGS – A REVIEWHTML Full Text
DIVERSE STRATEGIES TO BOOST UP SOLUBILITY OF POOR WATER SOLUBLE DRUGS - A REVIEW
Mohammed Abrar Hafijmiya Malek and Pravinkumar M. Patel *
Department of Industrial Chemistry, V.P. & R.P.T.P. Science College, Affiliated to Sardar Patel University Vallabh Vidyanagar, Anand - 388120, Gujarat, India.
ABSTRACT: As we understand that for achieving a supportive effect in the human body, the prescription should be bioavailable, and in this way, it depends upon the dissolvability of the drug. Starting late 40% of the meds are inadequate water dissolvable, which produces responses, for instance, gastric exacerbation, peptic ulceration, etc. An oral course of medication organization is the most favored defeat of conveyance, as it is helpful and simplicity of ingestion. One of the hindrances of this defeat is low bioavailability, as a large portion of the medications have poor solvency in water. On account of ineffectively water-solvent medications (BCS Class II), disintegration is the rate-restricting advance during the time spent medication assimilation. The purpose of this review is to highlight & improve the solubilization and bioavailability of insufficiently dissolvable sedates by using various approaches like physical, invention, and other changes or systems and included BCS course of action, transporters for dissolvability. Update and different techniques for dissolvability improvement.
Solubility, Bioavailability, Solubility improvement techniques, poorly water-soluble medicine
INTRODUCTION: Dissolvability is an inalienable property of any estimation structure; for instance, properties of the dynamic compound can be improved by inside modification, for instance by complexation of deficiently dissolvable blends with the water-dissolvable conveyor. Of course, deterio-ration is a superfluous property of medicine thing, wherein properties or nature of dynamic compound can be improved by external change for instance by size reduction, as a result of which convincing the area of a surface is f the dynamic part which will be extended and enables more contact with intestinal fluids for better absorption of the prescription. The dissolvability of prescription thing can be described as both quantitatively and subjective.
Quantitative solvency is characterized as that milligram of solute particles required to make an immersed arrangement.
Qualitative solvency is characterized as where two stages are combined to frame a homogenous arrangement.
With the presentation of combinatorial science and high throughput screening, the properties of ion of combinatorial science, and high throughput screening, the properties of recently created dynamic compounds moved towards higher sub-atomic weight and lipophilicity of compound is expanded, and these outcomes in a lessening in watery solvency of the compound.
There are a few perspectives where the dynamic compound has low solvency.
- A functioning compound is having at least five than five number of carbon iotas.
- Value of log P is two or more prominent than two.
- The sub-atomic load of the compound is more prominent than 500 Daltons.
These previously mentioned perspectives are alluded to as Lipinski rule, which exhibits a functioning compound as non-watery or ineffectively fluid dissolvable.
The dissolvability of the medication substance can be adjusted on two levels, either through material designing of a medication substance or through detailing draws near. Other than fluid dissolvability, porousness is another basic part of oral bioavailability. The Biopharmaceutical Classification System (BCS) was acquainted in the mid-1990s with characterizing the medication substances concerning their fluid solvency and film permeability 1.
TABLE 1: DRUGS ARE DELEGATED BCS-I TO BCS-IV
|BCS-I||Highly Soluble, Highly accessible|
|BCS-II||Low Soluble, Highly accessible|
|BCS-III||Highly Soluble, Low accessible|
|BCS-IV||Low Soluble, Low accessible|
It is a moving errand to improve parameters for medications having a place with BCS-IV.
It considers that a low portion of medication item having a place with BCS-II or BSC-IV is solvent in the intestinal liquid while at high portion comparative medication item isn't broken up or solubilized in intestinal liquid. Because of this, various Pharmacopeias (IP, USP, and BP) give a few definitions for solubility 2, as given in Table 2.
TABLE 2: SOLUBILITY CRITERIA 3-5
|Description||Portions of dissolvable required for one piece of solute|
|Soluble||Less than 1|
|In all respects marginally dissolvable||1000-10000|
The motivation behind this survey is to examine a couple of the most regularly utilized and two new procedures utilized both in industry and the scholarly world for upgrading dissolvability for the accommodation of pharmaceutical medication engineers. Every method is one of a kind in its own particular manner and works diversely for every solute. This survey will examine the accompanying strategies (or techniques): strong scatterings (solid dispersion), Cyclodextrins complexation, dendrimers, nano-suspensions, co-dissolvability, pH alteration, self-emulsifying drug conveyance framework, Hydrotropy, cocrystallization, and ionic fluid development.
Significance of Solubility: Everybody knows the oral organization of the medication is the most advantageous and normally utilized course of medication conveyance because of its simplicity of organization, high patient consistency, cost-adequacy, least sterility limitations, and adaptability in the plan of measurement structure. Subsequently, a huge number of conventional medication organizations are slanted more to deliver bioequivalent oral medication items 6. In any case, the significant test is in the structuring of oral dose structures lies with their poor bioavailability which relies upon a few variables including fluid solvency, sedate penetrability, disintegration rate, first-pass digestion, pre-fundamental digestion, and vulnerability to efflux instruments and the most regular reasons for low oral bioavailability are ascribed to poor dissolvability and low porousness. That is the reason Solubility assumes a noteworthy job in other measurement structures like parenteral definitions also. Dissolvability is the specific significant parameter to accomplish the ideal centralization of medication in foundational dissemination for accomplishing required pharmacological reactions to the human body; poorly, water-solvent medications regularly require high dosages so as to arrive at remedial impact to the human body after the oral organization of the specific medication.
Low watery dissolvability is a serious issue which experienced with the definition and improvement of new substance elements just as general advancement in medication advancement. We realize that any medication to be consumed must be available as a fluid arrangement at the site of ingestions in the human body. That is the reason water is the best dissolvable of decision for fluid pharmaceutical pre-formulations & details of any medication compound. As we likewise know by the investigation that the majority of the medications either pitifully acidic or feebly fundamental having poor watery solubility. So, when we are going to take any solvency parameter, we should acknowledge whether the medication is an essential or acidic medium. That is the reason solvency is the most significant parameter.
Factors Affecting Solubilization: 7
- Particle size
- Molecular size
- Nature of solute & solvent
Particle Size: The size of the strong molecule impacts the dissolvability since as a molecule decreases, the surface region to volume proportion increments. The bigger surface region permits a more prominent collaboration with the dissolvable. The impact of molecule size on dissolvability can be clarified according to the following conditions 8.
Temperature: The temperature will influence solvency. On fluke that the arrangement procedure assimilates vitality, on that occasion, the solvency will be expanded as the temperature is expanded. On fluke that the arrangement procedure discharges vitality, on that occasion, the solvency will diminish with expanding temperature 9. Mostly an increment in the temperature of the arrangement builds the dissolvability of a strong solute. A couple of strong solutes are less dissolvable in warm arrangements. For all gases, dissolvability diminishes as the temperature of the arrangement increases 10.
Pressure: For vaporous solutes, an expansion in weight increments solvency and a reduction in weight decline the dissolvability. For solids and fluid solutes, changes in weight have basically no impact on solvency 10.
Nature of Solute and Solvent: While just 1 gram of lead (II) chloride can be broken down in 100 grams of water at room temperature, 200 grams of zinc chloride can be broken down. The incredible distinction in the solubilities of these two substances is the consequence of contrasts in their tendency 10.
Molecular Size: The bigger the particle or the higher its atomic weight the less solvent the substance. Bigger particles are increasingly hard to encompass with dissolvable particles so as to solvate the substance. On account of natural aggravates, the measure of carbon spreading will increment the solvency since all the more spreading will lessen the size (or volume) of the particle and make it simpler to solvate the particles with dissolvable 9.
Polarity: Usually, unionized solute particles will break up in non-ionic solvents, and ionic solute atoms will break down in polar solvents. The polar solute particles have an advantageous positive and a disadvantageous edge to the atom. On the off chance that the dissolvable particle is likewise polar, at that point, positive parts of the bargains dissolvable particles will draw in negative parts of the bargains particles. This is a sort of intermolecular power known as dipole-dipole cooperation 9.
Polymorphs: A strong has an unbending structure and a positive shape. The shape or propensity for a gem of a given substance may fluctuate, yet the edges between the appearances are consistently consistent. A gem is comprised of molecules, particles, or atoms in a normal geometric course of action or grid continually rehashed in three measurements. This rehashing an example is known as the building block. The limit with regards to the substance to take shape in multiple crystalline the structure is polymorphism 11.
Various Techniques for Enhancement of Poorly Soluble Drugs/ Medications: There are such a plenty methods which are utilized to expand the dissolvability of ineffectively solvent medication; in short by these procedures of improvement of inadequately solvent medication we can in a roundabout way increment the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics properties of medication API.
Physical Modifications: Particle size decrease, adjustment of the precious stone propensity like polymorphs, indistinct structure, and medicate scattering in bearers like eutectic blends, strong scatterings (solid dispersion), strong arrangements (solid solutions), and cryogenic procedures 12, 13.
Chemical Modifications: The transformation of pH, using a buffer, cocrystallization, complexation, and salt advancement 12, 13.
Various (Miscellaneous) Methods: Supercritical liquid process, utilization of complimentary like surfactant, solubilizers, co-solvency, novel excipients, and Hydrotrophy 12, 13.
Physical Modification Techniques:
FIG. 1: VARIOUS TECHNIQUES OF SOLUBILIZATION FOR POORLY SOLUBLE DRUGS 14-16
Particle Size Reduction (Decrease): Molecule size decrease can be accomplished by micronization and nanosuspension. Every method uses various types of gear for the decrease of the molecule size.
Micro Ionization: The dissolvability of medication is regularly naturally identified with tranquilizing molecule size. By lessening the molecule size, the expanded surface territory improves the disintegration properties of the medication. Regular strategies for molecule size decrease, for example, comminution and splash drying, depend upon mechanical worry to disaggregate the dynamic compound. The micronization is utilized to the spread-out surface territory for disintegration 17, 18. E.G: Estradiol might be upgraded by micronization procedure 19.
Nano-suspension: Medications may be carried out into nano-suspensions of particles with distances across under 100 nanometers (nm) 20-23. Nano-sized mixes are utilized to improve dissolvability of ineffectively water-solvent mixes and are sub-micron estimated colloidal scatterings of unadulterated medication particles in an external fluid stage. An additional preferred position when utilizing nano-suspensions to upgrade solvency is this application takes into account expanded dissolvability and disintegration paces of the compound. An expansion in the disintegration rate can happen on account of the expansion in the surface zone. Nano-suspensions have been used to formulate various drugs, and a few examples are amphotericin B, tarazepide, atovaquone, paclitaxel, and bupravaquon.
Homogenization: The suspension is constrained under strain through the valve that has a nano opening. This causes air pockets of water to frame which out of this world out of the spigot. This component splits the particles. Three sorts of homogenizers are generally utilized, for example, customary homogenizers, sonicators, and sharp liquid processors 24.
Wet Milling: Dynamic medication within sight of the surfactant is optimized by processing. The nanosuspension the approach has been utilized for medications featuring drugs like; Tarazepide, Atovaquone, Amphotericin B, Paclitaxel, and Buparvaquone. Every one of the definitions is in the exploration arrangement. One noteworthy concern identified with molecule size the decrease is the inevitable change of the high-vitality polymorph to a low vitality crystalline structure, which may not be remedially dynamic one 25, 26. Drying of nano-suspensions should be possible by lyophilization or shower drying.
Other Techniques for Reduction of the Particle Size:
Sonocrystallization: Recrystallization of inade-quately dissolvable materials utilizing fluid solvents and anti-solvent has additionally been utilized effectively to diminish molecule size. The tale approach for molecule size decrease based on crystallization by utilizing ultrasound is sono-crystallization 27, 28.
FIG. 2: PROCESS OF SONOCRYSTALLIZATION 29
Supercritical Fluid: Different nano sizing and dissolution innovation whose application has expanded molecule size decrease by means of supercritical liquid (SCF) form 30. A supercritical liquid (SF) can be optimized as a thick non-condensable liquid 31. Supercritical liquids are liquids whose temperature and weight are more prominent than its basic temperature (Tc) and basic weight (Tp). The most broadly utilized strategies for SCF preparing for micronized particles are a quick extension of supercritical arrangements (RESS) and gas anti-solvent recrystallization (GAS), the two of which are utilized by the pharmaceutical business utilizing carbon dioxide (CO2) as the SCF 30. Because of its ideal preparing attributes like its low basic compression (Pc = 73.8 bar) and temperature (Tc = 31.1 ºC) 32-34.
Polymorphism: It is characterized as the crystallinity of substance which exists in multiple structures. Polymorphism appeared by the pharmaceutical substance is of two sorts, for example, Enantiotropy (one type of polymer can change in other structure) and Monotropic (no reversible progress is conceivable). The nebulous substance has more noteworthy hydration vitality than crystalline substances; because of this more noteworthy hydration vitality, they tend to indicates more dissolvability than crystalline substances. The metastable state is a state in the middle of the crystalline state, an undefined condition of powder. Subsequently request of solvency for Pharmaceutical powders is Nebulous > Metastable > Crystalline.
Solid Dispersion: The solid dispersion way to deal with decrease molecule size and, in this manner, increment the disintegration rate and retention of medications was first perceived in 1961 35. The term "solid dispersions" alludes to the scattering of at least one dynamic fixings in a latent transporter in a strong state, every now and again arranged by the dissolving (combination) technique, dissolvable strategy, or combination dissolvable technique 36. Novel extra readiness procedures have included fast precipitation by stop drying 37 and utilizing supercritical liquids 38 and splash drying39, regularly within sight of shapeless hydrophilic polymers, and furthermore utilizing strategies, for example, soften expulsion 40. The most normally utilized hydrophilic transporters for strong scatterings incorporate polyvinylpyrrolidone 41, 42, polyethylene glycols 43, Plasdone-S630 44. Commonly surfactants may likewise be utilized in the development of strong scattering. Surfactants alike Tween-80, Docusate sodium, Myrj-52, Pluronic-F68, and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate utilized 44. The dissolvability of Etoposide 45, Glyburide 46, Itraconazole 47, Ampelopsin 48, Valdecoxib 49, Celecoxib 50, and Halofantrine 51 can be enhanced by strong scattering (solid dispersion) utilizing reasonable hydrophilic bearers. The eutectic blend of chloramphenicol/urea 52 and Sulphathiazole/urea 35 filled in as models for the readiness of an ineffectively solvent medication in an exceptionally water dissolvable transporter.
Classification of Solid Dispersion Techniques:
Hot Melt Method: Sekiguchi and Obi 35 utilized a hot dissolve strategy to plan strong scattering. Sulphathiazole and urea were softened together and afterward cooled in an ice shower. The resultant strong mass was then processed to diminish the molecule size. Cooling prompts supersaturation; however, because of cementing, the scattered medication ends up caught inside the bearer grid. A sub-atomic scattering can be accomplished or not, relies upon the level of supersaturation and pace of cooling utilized in process 53.
FIG. 3: CLASSIFICATION OF SOLID DISPERSIONS
Solvent Evaporation Method: Tachibana and Nakumara 54 were the first to break down both the medication and the transporter in a typical dissolvable, and after that, vanish the dissolvable under vacuum to deliver a strong arrangement. This empowered them to create a strong arrangement of the exceptionally lipophilic β-carotene in the profound water solvent transporter polyvinyl-pyrrolidone. A significant essential for the production of a strong scattering utilizing the dissolvable strategy is that both the medication and the transporter are adequately solvent in the dissolvable 53. The dissolvable can be expelled by different techniques like by spray (shower) drying 55 or by stop drying 56.
Temperatures utilized for dissolvable vanishing by and large lie in the parameters of 23-65 ºC 57, 58. The strong scattering of the 5-lipoxygenase/ cyclooxygenase inhibitor ER-34122 indicated improved in-vitro disintegration rate contrasted with the crystalline medication substance, which was set up by dissolvable vanishing 59. These procedures have issues, for example, negative impacts of the solvents on the earth and staggering expense of generation because of additional office for the expulsion of solvents 53. Because of the poisonous quality capability of natural solvents utilized in the dissolvable dissipation technique, hot soften expulsion strategy is favored in planning strong arrangements 36, 61.
Hot-Melt Expulsion: Melt expulsion was utilized as an assembling apparatus in the pharmaceutical business as ahead of schedule as 1971 62. It has been accounted for that dissolve expulsion of miscible segments brings about shapeless strong arrangement development, while expulsion of an immiscible part prompts formless medication scattered in crystalline excipient 63. The procedure has been helpful in the planning of strong scatterings in a solitary advance.
Melting–Solvent Method: A medication is first broken down in a reasonable fluid dissolvable, and after that, this arrangement is consolidated into liquefying of polyethylene glycol, reachable underneath 70 ºC without expelling the fluid dissolvable. The choice dissolvable or broke up medication may not be miscible with the liquefy of the polyethylene glycol. Likewise, polymorphic type of medication hastened in the strong scattering may get influenced by the fluid dissolvable utilized. Transporters for strong scatterings as appeared in Table 3.
TABLE 3: CARRIERS FOR SOLID DISPERSION 36
|S. no.||Chemical Class||Examples|
|1||Acids||Citric acid, Tartaric acid|
|5||Surfactants||Polyoxy ethylene Stearate, Tweens and Spans|
Cryogenic Techniques: Cryogenic procedures have been created to upgrade the disintegration pace of medications by making nanostructured indistinct medication particles with a high level of porosity at very low-temperature conditions. Cryogenic developments can be characterized by the kind of infusion gadget (narrow, revolving, pneumatic, furthermore, ultrasonic spout), area of the spout (above or under the fluid level), and the piece of cryogenic fluid (Hydrofluoroalkanes, N2, Ar, O2, and natural solvents). After cryogenic preparation, dry powder can be acquired by different drying procedures like shower stop drying, climatic stop drying, vacuum stop drying, and lyophilization 64-66.
Spray Freezing onto Cryogenic Fluids: Briggs and Maxwell imagined the procedure of splash solidifying onto cryogenic liquids. In this system, the medication and the transporter (the mannitol, maltose, lactose, inositol, or dextran) were broken down in the water and atomized over the outside of a bubbling unsettled fluorocarbon refrigerant. The Sonication test can be put in the mixed refrigerant to upgrade the scattering of the watery arrangement 67.
Spray Freezing into Cryogenic Liquids (SFL): The SFL molecule building innovation has been utilized to deliver indistinct nano-structured totals of medication powder with the high surface region and great wettability. It joins direct fluid impingement between the automatized feed arrangement and cryogenic fluid to give extreme atomization into microdroplets and thusly essentially quicker solidifying rates. The solidified particles are then lyophilized to acquire dry and free-streaming micronized powders 68.
Ultra-Rapid Freezing [URF]: Ultra-rapid freezing is a novel cryogenic innovation that makes nanostructured sedate particles with the significantly improved surface territory and wanted surface morphology by utilizing strong cryogenic substances. The use of medications answer for the strong surface of cryogenic substrate prompts momentary solidifying and resulting lyophilization (for the evacuation of dissolvable) structures micronized medication powder with improved dissolvability. URF prevents the stage division and the crystallization of the pharmaceutical fixings prompting personally blended, undefined medication bearer strong scatterings and strong arrangements 69.
Spray Freezing into Vapor Over Liquid (SFV/L): Solidifying of medication arrangements in cryogenic liquid vapors and the resulting expulsion of solidified dissolvable creates fine tranquilize particles with high wettability. During SFV/L the atomized beads commonly begin to solidify in the vapor stage before they contact the cryogenic fluid. As the dissolvable stops, the medication ends up supersaturated in the unfrozen locales of the atomized bead, so fine sedate particles may nucleate and develop 70.
Drug Solubilization Techniques by Chemical Modifications are Discussed Complexation: Complexation is the relationship between at least two atoms to frame a non-bonded substance with a very much characterized stoichiometry. Complexation depends on generally powerless powers, for example, London powers, hydrogen holding, and hydrophobic connections. There are numbers of complexing specialists, and a halfway rundown can be found underneath Table 4.
Stacking Complexation: Stacking buildings are framed by the cover of the planar locales of fragrant atoms. Nonpolar moieties will, in general, be pressed out of the water by the solid hydrogen holding associations of water. This makes a few particles limit the interaction with water by the conglomeration of their hydrocarbon fractions. This conglomeration is supported by enormous planar nonpolar districts in the atom. Stacked edifices can be uniform or blended. The previous is referred to as self-affiliation and last as complexation. A few exacerbates that are referred to shape Staching edifices are as Nicotinamide 71-73. Anthracene, Pyrene, Methylene blue, Benzoic corrosive, Salicylic corrosive, Ferulic corrosive, Gentisic corrosive, Purine, Theobromine, Caffeine, and Naphthalene, and so on.
TABLE 4: LIST OF COMPLEXING AGENTS 8
|2||Coordination||Hexamine cobalt(III) Chloride|
|5||Inclusion||Cyclodextrins, Choleic acid|
Inclusion Complexation: Among all the solvency upgrade procedures, consideration of complex arrangement systems have been utilized all the more definitely to improve the watery dissolvability, disintegration rate, and bioaccessibility of ineffectively water solvent medications. Consideration edifices are framed by the inclusion of the nonpolar particle or the nonpolar locale of one atom (known as a visitor) into the cavity of another atom or gathering of atoms (known as a host). The most regularly utilized host atoms are Cyclodextrins. The enzymatic corruption of starch by Cyclodextrin glycosyltransferase CGT produces cyclic oligomers Cyclodextrins CDs). These are non-reducing, crystalline, water dissolvable, and cyclic oligosaccharides comprising of glucose monomers masterminded in a doughnut formed a ring having a hydrophobic a hole and hydrophilic external surface as displayed in Fig. 4. Three normally happening CDs are α-Cyclodextrin, ß-Cyclodextrin, and γ- Cyclodextrin 74.
FIG. 4: PRESENTATIONS OF THE HYDROPHOBIC CHAMBER AND HYDROPHILIC EXTERNAL SURFACE OF CYCLODEXTRIN 75
The outside of the cyclodextrin atoms makes them water dissolvable; however, the hydrophobic hole gives a microenvironment to properly measured non-polar particles. In light of the structure and properties of the medication particle, it can shape 1: 1 or 1: 2 medication cyclodextrin mind-boggling, as represented in Fig. 5.
FIG. 5: 1:1 AND 1:2 DRUG CYCLODEXTRIN COMPLEXES 76
Different advancements adjusted to set up the consideration buildings of ineffectively water solvent medications with cyclodextrins are quickly portrayed underneath.
Kneading Method: This technique depends on impregnating the CDs with a little measure of water or Hydro-alcoholic answers for proselyte into a glue. The medication is then added to the above glue and manipulated for a predefined time. The manipulated blend is then dried and gone through a sifter whenever required. In a research facility scale, plying can be accomplished by utilizing a mortar and batter. In an enormous scale, plying should be possible by using the extruders and different machines. This is the most broadly recognized and basic technique used to set up the incorporation buildings, and it displays minimal effort of generation 77.
Lyophilization/Freeze-Drying Technique: So as to get a permeable, undefined powder with a high level of collaboration among medication and CD, lyophilization/solidify drying system is viewed as reasonable. In this strategy, the dissolvable frame-work from the arrangement is wiped out through an essential solidifying and resulting drying of the arrangement containing both medication and CD at the diminished weight. Thermolabile materials can be effectively made into the complex structure by this technique. The impediments of this strategy are the utilization of particular hardware, tedious procedure, and yield a poor streaming powdered item. Lyophilization/ solidify drying strategy is considered as an option in contrast to dissolvable vanishing and includes atomic blending of medication and transporter in a typical dissolvable 78.
Microwave Irradiation Method: This strategy includes the microwave light response among medication and complexing operator utilizing a microwave. The medication and CD in unmistakable molar proportions are broken up in a blend of water and natural dissolvable in a predetermined extent into a round-base jar. The blend is responded for a brief time of around 1 to 2 minutes at 60 °C in the microwave. After the response finishes, a satisfactory measure of the dissolvable blend is added to the above response blend to evacuate the remaining uncomplexed free medication and CD. The hasten so got is isolated utilizing Whatman channel paper, and dried in vacuum stove at 40 °C. Microwave illumination strategy is a novel technique for mechanical scale planning because of its significant favorable position of shorter response times and higher yield of item 79.
Changing/Altering of pH: For natural organic solutes that are ionizable, altering the pH of the framework might be the least complex and best methods for expanding fluid solvency. Under the correct conditions, the solvency of an ionizable medication can increment exponentially by altering the pH of the arrangement. A medication that can be effectively solubilized by pH control ought to be either frail corrosive with a low pKa or a powerless base with a high pKa. Like the absence of impact of warmth on the solvency of non-polar substances, there is little impact of pH on non-ionizable substances 80-82.
Use of Buffer: By and large weakening of GIT (constitute stomach, small and large intestine) liquid may affect the solvency of medication. In the event that precipitation of medication happens by the weakening of GIT liquid, at that point, the solvency of medication will be diminished. This issue might be overwhelmed by the utilization of supports, which keep up the pH of GIT even in weakening conditions, and the dissolvability of medication will be kept up.
Cocrystallization: The new approach accessible for the improvement of medication dissolvability is through the use of the co-gems; it has likewise alluded as sub-atomic edifices. In the event that the dissolvable is an indispensable piece of the system structure and structures at any rate two-segment precious stones, at that point, it might be named as co-gem. In the event that the dissolvable does not take part straightforwardly in the system itself, as in open system structures, at that point, it is named as clathrate (incorporation complex) 18. A co-gem might be characterized as a crystalline material that comprises of at least two sub-atomic (and electrically unbiased) species held together by non-covalent powers 83. Co-gems are increasingly steady, especially as the co-taking shape specialists are solids at room temperature 84-86.
Salt Advancement / Formation: The procedure and standard of salt development are generally basic and include, fundamentally, blending the parent tranquilize atom with a fitting segment. The essential condition is the nearness of ionizable utilitarian gatherings in the medication's structure, which permit enough ionic contact between the medication and the salt previously. The charged gatherings in the structure of the medication and the counter particle are pulled in by ionic intermolecular powers. At positive thermodynamic conditions, the salt is accelerated in the solidified from 87, 88. This technique offers numerous advantages to the pharmaceutical items as it can expand the dissolvability, disintegration rate, porousness, and adequacy of the medication 89, 90. Furthermore, salts can help in the overhauling of the hydrolytic and warm stability 87, 91, and furthermore, salts assume a noteworthy job in focused medication conveyance of measurement structure (for example, in the instances of CRDS forms) 92. Additionally, the sensual properties of the APIs. It has been additionally expressed that salts lessen the torment of infusion (for example, Morphine, dimethylamine, N-methyl glucamine salts of cephalosporin) 93.
Various Miscellaneous Methods for Drug Solubilization are here discuss Below; Co-Solvency: The solubilization of medications in co-solvents is a strategy for improving the dissol-vability of ineffectively dissolvable medication 94. It is outstanding that the expansion of a natural co-solvent to water can significantly change the dissolvability of medications 95, 96. Most cosolvents have hydrogen bond giver or potentially acceptor bunches just as little hydrocarbon areas. Their hydrophilic hydrogen holding gatherings guarantee water miscibility, while their hydrophobic hydrocarbon locales meddle with waters hydrogen holding system, diminishing the, generally speaking, intermolecular fascination of water. By upsetting waters self-affiliation, cosolvents diminish water capacity to crush out non-polar, hydrophobic mixes, in this way, expanding dissolvability. An alternate point of view is that by just making the polar water condition more non-polar like the solute, cosolvents encourage solubilization 97. Dissolvability upgrade as high as 500-overlay is accomplished, utilizing 20% 2-pyrrolidone 98.
Solubilizing Agent (Excipient): The solvency of inadequately solvent medication can likewise be improved by different solubilizing materials. PEG 400 is developing the solvency of hydrochloro-thiazide 99. Altered gum karaya (AGK), an as of late created excipient, was assessed as a transporter for disintegration improvement of ineffectively dissolvable medication, Nimodipine 100. The watery dissolvability of the antimalarial specialist Halofantrine is expanded by the expansion of caffeine and nicotinamide 101.
Micellar Solubilization (Surfactant): The utilization of surfactants to improve the disintegration execution of inadequately solvent medication items is most likely the fundamental, essential, and the most established strategy. Surfactants lessen surface pressure and improve the disintegration of lipophilic medications in a fluid medium. They are likewise used to balance out medication suspensions. At the point when the grouping of surfactants surpasses their basic micelle focus (CMC, which is in the scope of 0.05–0.10% for most surfactants), micelle arrangement happens which ensnare the medications inside the micelles. This is known as micellization and, for the most part, brings about improved dissolvability of inadequately solvent medications. The surfactant additionally improves the wetting of solids and builds the pace of deterioration of strong into better particles 102. Ordinarily utilized nonionic surfactants incorporate polysorbate, polyoxy-ethylated castor oil, polyoxyethylated glycerides, Lauroyl macro glycerides, and mono-and di-unsaturated fat esters of low sub-atomic weight polyethylene glycols. Surfactants are likewise frequently used to balance out microemulsions and suspensions into which medications are broken up 103, 104. Instances of inadequately dissolvable aggravate that utilization Micellar solubilization is antidiabetic drugs, gliclazide, glyburide, glimepiride, glipizide, repaglinide, pioglitazone, and rosiglitazone 104.
Hydrotrophy: Hydrotrophy is a solubilization procedure, whereby the expansion of a lot of the second solute, the hydrotropic operator brings about an expansion in the watery dissolvability of the first solute. Hydrotropic specialists are ionic natural salts comprises of soluble base metal salts of different natural acids. Added substances or salts that expansion dissolvability in given dissolvable is said to "salt in" the solute and those salts that decline solvency "salt out" the solute. A few salts with huge anions or cations that are themselves extremely solvent in water bring about "salting in" of non-electrolytes called "hydrotropic salts"; a wonder is known as "hydrotropism." Hydrotrophy assigns the expansion in dissolvability in water because of the nearness of the enormous measure of added substances. The system by which it improves dissolvability is all the more firmly identified with complexation, including a frail connection between the hydrotropic operators like sodium benzoate, sodium acetic acid derivation, sodium alginate, urea, and the ineffectively solvent medications 105, 106.
The hydrotropes are known to self-collect in an arrangement. The characterization of hydrotropes based on atomic structure is troublesome since a wide assortment of mixes has been accounted for to show hydrotropic conduct. Explicit models may incorporate ethanol, sweet-smelling alcohols like resorcinol, pyrogallol, catechol, α and ß-naphthols, and salicylates, alkaloids like caffeine and nicotine, ionic surfactants like Di-acids, SDS (sodium dodecyl sulfate), and dodecylated oxidibenzene.
The sweet-smelling hydrotropes with anionic head gatherings are generally considered mixes. They are huge in number due to isomerism and their powerful hydro trope’s the activity might be because of the accessibility of intuitive pi (π) orbital 107.
Hydrotropes with cationic hydrophilic gatherings are uncommon, for instance, salts of fragrant amines, for example, procaine hydrochloride. Other than upgrading the solubilization of mixes in water, they are known to show effects on surfactant collection prompting micelle arrangement, stage appearance of multicomponent frameworks with relating to nano-dispersions and conductance permeation, obfuscating of surfactants and polymers, etc. 108
Various techniques for enhancement of poorly soluble drugs/ medications
There is such a plenty method which are utilized to expand the dissolvability of ineffectively solvent medication; in short by these procedures of improvement of inadequately solvent medication we can in a roundabout way increment the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics properties of medication API. Applying these methods are one can utilize the solubility enhancement of lower solvable drugs like for dendrimers as solubilizing enhancement agent 109, other drug carriers are also to be used.
CONCLUSION: For BCS class II drugs, upgrading dissolvability would be effective for expanding bioavailability. Advancements of recently blended mixes are much of the time ceased on account of dissolvability issues. Dissolvability can be enhanced by numerous systems, and every strategy will expand certain medication solvency by various folds. The different methods depicted above alone or in the blend can be utilized to improve the solvency of the medication. There are numerous different wellsprings of uses used to upgrade dissolvability. These applications are micellar solubilization, very basic liquid procedure, precious stone adjustment, amorphization, shower solidifying, utilization of surfactants, salt development, and a few others.
It is important to utilize one of these procedures and the ones referenced above to expand the solvency of medications in light of the fact that the bioavailability is influenced by low dissolvability. Every procedure has focal points and impediments, which is significant when choosing a suitable strategy for the medication choice. It is basic that the right strategy is picked so as to diminish the likelihood of blunders. A superior comprehension of how to expand the dissolvability of medications with various strategies has been created by scholarly and mechanical research, and this science will prompt the advancement of proficient definition for ineffectively solvent medications.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: The authors are thankful to the principle of the college and administrative trust CVM for providing the infrastructural facilities.
AUTHOR CONTRIBUTIONS: Mr. Mohammed Abrar Hafijmiya Malek is the key supporter in the arrangement of this original copy and thus is the principal creator. Every single other creator contributed similarly to the arrangement and modifications of the draft.
CONFLICTS OF INTEREST: The creators pronounce that the examination was directed without any business or money related connections that could be interpreted as a potential irreconcilable situation.
- Mehta M: Bio pharmaceutics Classification System (BCS): Development, Implementation, and Growth. Wiley. 2016; ISBN 978-1-118-47661-1
- Sajid A and Chaudhary V: Solubility Enhancement Methods with Importance of Hydrotropy. J Drug Discov Ther 2012; 2(6): 96-101.
- Tyagi S, Patel C, Dadrwal P, Mangukia D, Sojitra I, Nimbiwal BK, Sigh V and Subrahmanyam KV: A novel concept for solubilization and bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs: hydrotropy. Int J Pharmres and Bio Sci 2013; 2(1): 372-81.
- Alton’s Pharmaceutics: The Design and Manufacturing of Medicines, Churchill Livingstone Elsevier.3rd Edition 2007; 322-38.
- Newkome GR, Weis CD, Moorefield CN and Weis I: Detection and functionalization of dendrimers possessing free carboxylic acid moieties. Macromolecules 1997; 30(8): 2300-4.
- Chauhan NN, Patel NV, Suthar SJ, Patel JK and Patel MP: Micronization of BCS Class-II Drugs by Various Approaches for Solubility Enhancement-A Review. RJPT 2012; 5(8):3.
- Singhal D and Curatolo W: Drug polymorphism and dosage form design: a practical perspective. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2004; 56(3): 335-47.
- Kapadiya N, Singhvi I, Mehta K, Karwani G and Dhrubo JS: Hydrotropy: A promising tool for solubility enhance-ment: A review. Int J Drug Dev Res 2011; 3(2): 26-33.
- Chaudhary A, Nagaich U, Gulati N, Sharma VK and Khosa RL: Enhancement of solubilization and bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs by physical and chemical modifications. JAPER 2012; 2(1): 32-67.
- Thorat YS, Gonjari ID and Hosmani AH: Solubility enhancement techniques: a review on conventional and novel approaches. IJPSR 2011; 2(10): 2501-13.
- Lachman L and Lieberman H: The Theory and Practice of Industrial Pharmacy, CBS Publication & Distributors Pvt. Ltd. Special Indian Edition 2009: 221.
- Varshney HM and Chatterjee A: Solubility enhancement of poorly hydrophilic drugs by using different newer techniques: a review. Int J Ther Appl 2012; 6(8): 13.
- Chaumeil JC: Micronization; a method of improving the bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 1998; 20(3): 211-16.
- Blagden N, de Matas M, Gavan PT and York P: Crystal engineering of active pharmaceutical ingredients to improve solubility and dissolution rates. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2007; 59(7): 617-30.
- Pant P, Bansal K, Rama TR, Padhee K, Sathapathy A and Kochhar PS: Micronization: An efficient tool for dissolution enhancement of Dienogest. Int J Drug Dev & Res 2011; 3(2): 329-33.
- Enriquez GG, Rizvi SA, D’Souza MJ and Do DP: Formulation and evaluation of drug-loaded targeted magnetic microspheres for cancer therapy. Int J Nanomedicine 2013; 8: 1393-1402.
- Angra PK, Rizvi SA, Oettinger CW and D’Souza MJ: Novel approach for preparing nontoxic stealth micro-spheres for drug delivery. Eur J Chem 2011; 2(2): 125-29.
- Kolluru LP, Rizvi SA, D’Souza M and D’Souza MJ: Formulation development of albumin-based theragnostic nanoparticles as a potential delivery system for tumor targeting. J Drug Target 2013; 21(1): 77-86.
- Do DP, Pai SB, Rizvi SA and D'Souza MJ: Development of sulforaphane-encapsulated microspheres for cancer epigenetic therapy. Int J Pharm 2010; 386(1-2): 114-21.
- Medical Design Technology online at www.mdtmag.com or Microfluidics at http://www.microfluidicscorp.com
- Pinnamaneni S, Das NG and Das SK: Formulation approaches for orally administered poorly soluble drugs. Pharmazie 2002: 57: 291-300.
- Aulton ME: Pharmaceutics, The science of dosage form design, 2nd edition, Churchill Livingstone, London 2002; 113-252.
- Hite M: Lead Research Associate, Stephen Turner: Oral Delivery of Poorly Soluble Drugs 400, Pharmaceutical Manufacturing and Packing Sourcer Summer ‘03 issue. Samedan Ltd. 2003; 79:83.
- Crystallization process using ultrasound, United States Patent 2002; 003; 1577.
- Yu Z, Garcia AS, Johnston KP and Williams RO: Spray freezing into liquid nitrogen for highly stable protein nanostructured microparticles. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 3rd, 2004; 58(3): 529-37.
- Kakumanu V and Bansal AK: Supercritical Fluid Technology in Pharmaceutical Research Business briefing: Labtech 2004; 71-73.
- Pasquali I, Bettini R and Giordano F: Solid-state chemistry and particle engineering with supercritical fluids in pharmaceutics, Eur J Pharm Sci 2006; 27: 299-310.
- Karanth H, Shenoy VS and Murthy RR: industrially Feasible Alternative Approaches in the Manufacture of Solid Dispersions: A Technical Report, AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 2006; 7(4): 87.
- Perrut M, Jung J and Leboeuf F: Enhancement of dissolution rate of poorly soluble active ingredients by supercritical fluid processes Part II: Preparation of composite particles, Int J Pharm 2005; 288: 11-16.
- Prajapati BG, Patel RP, Patel RB, Patel GN, Hitesh R and Patel M: Novel pharmaceutical methods improve one of the principal pharmacokinetic properties of lipophilic drug, www.pharmaquality.com
- Sekiguchi K and Obi N: Studies on absorption of eutectic mixtures. I. A comparison of the behavior of eutectic mixtures of sulphathiazole and that of ordinary sulphathiazole in man, Chem Pharm Bull 1961; 9: 866-72.
- Chiou WL and Riegelman S: Pharmaceutical applications of solid dispersion systems, J Phar Sci 1971; 60: 1281-02.
- Emara LH, Badr RM and Elbary AA: Improving the dissolution and bioavailability of nifedipine using solid dispersions and solubilizers. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2002; 28: 795-807.
- Juppo AM, Boissier C and Khoo C: Evaluation of solid dispersion particles prepared by SEDS, Int J Pharm 2003; 250: 385-401.
- Kai T, Akiyama Y, Nomura S and Sato M: Oral absorption improvement of poorly soluble drug using solid dispersion technique, Chem Pharm Bull 1996; 44: 568-71.
- Forster A, Hempenstall J and Rades T: Characterization of glass solutions of poorly water-soluble drugs produced by melt extrusion with hydrophilic amorphous polymers, J Pharm Pharmacol 2001; 53: 303-15.
- Ambike AA, Mahadik KR and Paradkar A: Stability study of amorphous valdecoxib. Int J Pharm 2004; 282: 151-62.
- Paradkar A, Ambike AA, Jadhav BK and Mahadik KR: Characterization of curcumin PVP solid dispersion obtained by spray drying. Int J Pharm 2004; 271: 281-86.
- Doshi DH, Ravis WR and Betageri GV: Carbamazepine and polyethylene glycol solid dispersion preparation, in-vitro dissolution, and characterization. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 1967; 23: 1167-76.
- Ghebremeskel AN, Vemavarapua C and Lodaya M: Use of surfactants as plasticizers in preparing solid dispersions of poorly soluble API: Selection of polymer– surfactant combinations using solubility parameters and testing the processability. Int J Pharma 2007; 328: 119-29.
- Shah JC, Che JR and Diana C: Preformulation study of etoposide: II. Increased solubility and dissolution rate by solid-solid dispersions. Int J Pharm 1995; 113: 103-11.
- Betageri GV and Makarla KR: Enhancement of dissolution of glyburide by solid dispersion and lyophilization techniques. Int J Pharm 1995; 126: 155-60.
- Jung JY, Yoo SD, Lee SH, Kim KH, Yoon DS and Lee KH: Enhanced solubility and dissolution rate of Itraconazole by a solid dispersion technique. Int J Pharm 1999; 187(2): 209-18.
- Ruan LP, Yu BY, Fu GM and Zhu DN: Improving the solubility of ampelopsin by solid dispersions and inclusion complexes. J Pharmaceut Biomed. 2005; 38(3): 457-64.
- Modi A and Tayade P: Enhancement of dissolution profile by solid dispersion (kneading) technique. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 2006; 7(3): E87.
- Gupta P, Kakumanu VK and Bansal AK: Stability and solubility of celecoxib-PVP amorphous dispersions: a molecular perspective. Pharma Res 2004; 21(10): 1762-69.
- Abdul-Fattah AM and Hridaya NB: Preparation and in-vitro evaluation of solid dispersions of Halofantrine. Int J Pharm 2002; (235): 17-33.
- Sekiguchi K, Obi N and Ueda Y: Studies on absorption of eutectic mixtures. II. Absorption of fused conglomerates of chloramphenicol and urea in rabbits, Chem Pharm Bull 1964; (12): 134-144.
- Leuner C and Dressman J: Improving drug solubility for oral delivery using solid dispersions. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2000; 50(1): 47-60.
- Tachibana T and Nakamura A: A method for preparing an aqueous colloidal dispersion of organic materials by using water-soluble polymers: Dispersion of Β-carotene by poly-vinylpyrrolidone. Kolloid Z Z Poly 1965; 203(2): 130-33.
- Lo WY and Law SL: Dissolution behavior of Griseofulvin solid dispersions using polyethylene glycol, talc, and their combination as dispersion carriers. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 1996; 22(3): 231-6.
- Betageri GV and Makarla KR: Enhancement of dissolution of glyburide by solid dispersion and lyophilization techniques. Int J Pharm 1995; 126: 155-60.
- Kearney AS, Gabriel DL, Mehta SC and Radebaugh GW: Effect of polyvinylpyrrolidone on the crystallinity and dissolution rate of solid dispersions of the anti-inflammatory CI-987. Int J Pharm 1994; 104(2): 169-74.
- El-Zein H, Riad L and El-Bary AA: Enhancement of carbamazepine dissolution: in-vitro and in-vivo Int J Pharm 1998; 168(2): 209-20.
- Kushida I, Ichikawa M and Asakawa N: Improvement of dissolution and oral absorption of ER-34122, a poorly water-soluble dual 5-lipoxygenase/cyclooxygenase inhibitor with anti-inflammatory activity by preparing solid dispersion. J Pharm Sci 2002; 91(1): 258-66.
- Serajuddin AT: Solid dispersion of poorly water‐soluble drugs: Early promises, subsequent problems, and recent breakthroughs. J Pharm Sci 1999; 88(10): 1058-66.
- Vadnere MK: Co-precipitates and melts. Encyclopedia of Pharmaceutical Technology. 2nd NY, Marcel Dekker Inc 2002; 641-43.
- El-Egakey MA, Soliva M and Speise P: Hot extruded dosage forms. Pharm Acta Helv 1971; 46: 31-52.
- Breitenbach J: Melt extrusion: from process to drug delivery technology. Eur J Phar Bio 2002; 54(2): 107-17.
- Leuenberger H: Spray freeze-drying–the process of choice for low water-soluble drugs? J Nano Res 2002; 4(1-2): 111-19.
- Mumenthaler M and Leuenberger H: Atmospheric spray-freeze drying: a suitable alternative in freeze-drying technology. Int J Pharm 1991; 72(2): 97-110.
- Williams RQ: Process for the production of nanoparticles and microparticles by spray freezing into a liquid. US Patent no. 20030041602, 2003.
- Briggs AR and Maxvell TJ: Process for preparing powder blends. US Patent no. 3721725, 1973.
- Rogers TL, Hu J, Yu Z, Johnston KP and Williams III RO: A novel particle engineering technology: spray-freezing into liquid. Int J Pharm 2002; 242(1-2): 93-100.
- Purvis T, Mattucci ME, Crisp MT, Johnston KP and Williams RO: Rapidly dissolving repaglinide powders produced by the ultra-rapid freezing process. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 2007; 8(3): E52-60.
- Buxton IR, Peach JM, “Process and apparatus for freezing a liquid medium,” US Patent no. 4470202, 1984
- Sanghvi R, Evans D and Yalkowsky SH: Stacking complexation by nicotinamide: A useful way of enhancing drug solubility. Int J Pharm 2007; 336(1): 35-41.
- Higuchi T and Kristiansen H: Binding specificity between small organic solutes in aqueous solution: classification of some solutes into two groups according to binding tendencies. J Pharm Sci 1970; 59(11): 1601-08.
- Rajewski RA and Stella VJ: Pharmaceutical applications of cyclodextrins. 2. In-vivo drug delivery. J Pharm Sci 1996; 85(11): 1142-69.
- Uekama K, Hirayama F and Irie T: Cyclodextrin drug carrier systems. Chem Rev 1998; 98(5): 2045-76.
- “Cyclodextrins in pharmaceuticals: an overview,” http:// www.pharmainfo.net/pharma-student-magazine/cyclodextrins-pharmaceuticals-overview-0
- http://www.nature.com/nrd/journal/v3/n12/fig tab/nrd1576 F3.html.
- Parikh RK, Mansuri NS, Gohel MC and Sonlwala MM: Dissolution enhancement of nimesulide using complexation and salt formation techniques. Indian Drugs 2005; 42(3): 149-54.
- Cao F, Guo J and Ping Q: The physicochemical characteristics of freeze-dried scutellarin-cyclodextrin tetra component complexes. DDIP 2005; 31(8): 747-56.
- Wen X, Tan F, Jing Z and Liu Z: Preparation and study the 1: 2 inclusion complex of carvedilol with β-cyclodextrin. J Pharmaceut Biomed 2004; 34(3): 517-23.
- Persky AM and Hughes JA: Solutions and Solubility. The University of Florida, College of Pharmacy, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA.
- Agharkar S, Lindenbaum S and Higuchi T: Enhancement of solubility of drug salts by hydrophilic counterions: properties of organic salts of an antimalarial drug. J Pharm Sci 1976; 65(5): 747-49.
- Serajuddin AT: Salt formation to improve drug solubility. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2007; 59(7): 603-16.
- Aakeröy CB: Crystal engineering: strategies and architectures. Acta Crystallographica Section B: Structural Science 1997; 53(4): 569-86.
- Almarsson O and Zaworotko MJ: Crystal engineering of the composition of pharmaceutical phases. Do pharmaceutical co-crystals represent a new path to improved medicines? Chem Commun 2004; 17: 1889-96.
- Trask AV, Motherwell WS and Jones W: Solvent-drop grinding: green polymorph control of co-crystallisation. Chem Commun 2004; 7: 890-91.
- Zaworotko M: Polymorphism in co-crystals and pharmacuetical cocrystals. InXX Congress of the IUCr, Florence 1st January, 2005.
- Anderson BD and Conradi RA: Predictive relationships in the water solubility of salts of a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug. J Pharm Sci 1985; 74(8): 815-20.
- Bhattachar SN, Deschenes LA and Wesley JA: Solubility: it's not just for physical chemists. Drug Discov Today 2006; 11(21-22): 1012-18.
- Gould PL: Salt selection for basic drugs. Int J Pharm 1986; 3(1-3): 201-17.
- Stahl PH and Nakano M: Pharmaceutical aspects of the drug salt form. Willey- VCH: New York. Handbook Pharm Salts 2002; 83-116.
- Badawy SI: Effect of salt form on the chemical stability of an ester prodrug of a glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor anta-gonist in solid dosage forms. IJP 2001; 223(1-2): 81-87.
- Chourasia MK and Jain SK: Pharmaceutical approaches to colon targeted drug delivery systems. J Pharm Pharm Sci 2003; 6(1): 33-66.
- Bighley LD, Berge SM and Monkhouse DC: Salt Forms of Drugs and Absorption. Encycl Pharm Techn 1996; 453-99.
- Amin K, Dannenfelser RM, Zielinski J and Wang B: Lyophilization of polyethylene glycol mixtures. J Pharm Sci 2004; 93(9): 2244-49.
- Yalkowsky SH and Roseman TJ: Solubilization of drugs by cosolvents. Techniques of Solubilization of Drugs. Dekker, New York 1981; 91-134.
- Rubino JT: Cosolvents and Co-solvency 2002; 1: 658-70. http://www.dekker.com
- Millard JW, Alvarez-Nunez FA and Yalkowsky SH: Solubilization by cosolvents: Establishing useful constants for the log-linear model. Int J Pha 2002; 245(1-2): 153-66.
- Jain P and Yalkowsky SH: Solubilization of poorly soluble compounds using 2-pyrrolidone. IJP 2007; 342(1-2): 1-5.
- Vervaet C and Remon JP: Bioavailability of hydrochlorothiazide from pellets, made by extrusion/ spheronisation, containing polyethylene glycol 400 as a dissolution enhancer. Pharm Res 1997; 14(11): 1644-46.
- Babu GM, Prasad CD and Murthy KR: Evaluation of modified gum karaya as a carrier for the dissolution enhancement of poorly water-soluble drug nimodipine. Int J Pharm 2002; 234(1-2): 1-17.
- Lim LY and Go ML: Caffeine and nicotinamide enhance the aqueous solubility of the antimalarial agent Halofantrine. Eur J Pharm Sci 2000; 10(1): 17-28.
- Di L and Kerns EH: Drug-like properties; concepts, structure design and methods from ADME to toxicity optimization. Academic Press; Second edition 2015.
- Martin A: Physical Pharmacy, Willaims and Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 4th edition, 1993.
- Rangel-Yagui CD, Pessoa A and Tavares LC: Micellar solubilization of drugs. J Pharm Pharm Sci 2005; 8(2): 147-63.
- Rasool AA, Hussain AA and Dittert LW: Solubility enhancement of some water-insoluble drugs in the presence of nicotinamide and related compounds. J Pharm Sci 1991; 80(4): 387-93.
- Badwan AA, El-Khordagui LK, Saleh AM and Khalil SA: The solubility of benzodiazepines in sodium salicylate solution and a proposed mechanism for hydrotropic solubilization. Int J Pharm 1982; 13(1): 67-74.
- Roy BK and Moulik SP: Functions of hydrotropes (sodium salicylate, proline, pyrogallol, resorcinol, and urea) in solution with special reference to amphiphile behaviors. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochem Eng Asp 2002; 203(1-3): 155-66.
- Behera AL, Sahoo SK and Patil SV: Enhancement of solubility: a pharmaceutical overview. Der Pharmacia Lettre 2010; 2(2): 310-8.
- Malek MAH and Patel PM: Dendrimers for drug solubility enhancement– a review. Int J Pharm Sci & Res 2020; 11(2): 507-23.
How to cite this article:
Malek MAH and Patel PM: Diverse strategies to boost up solubility of poor water soluble drugs - a review. Int J Pharm Sci & Res 2020; 11(11): 5346-59. doi: 10.13040/IJPSR.0975-8232.11(11).5346-59.
All © 2013 are reserved by the International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. This Journal licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
M. A. H. Malek and P. M. Patel *
Department of Industrial Chemistry, V.P. & R.P.T.P. Science College, Affiliated to Sardar Patel University Vallabh Vidyanagar, Anand, Gujarat, India.
31 January 2020
27 March 2020
29 March 2020
01 November 2020