A STUDY ON PRESCRIBING PATTERN OF ANTIHYPERTENSIVES AT A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITALAbstract
The retrospective study on prescribing patterns of antihypertensives showed that the prevalence of hypertension was predominantly more with male patients than in female patients. It was also found that the average age of the overall study population was 56 years. The average age of the population clearly indicates the elderly patients were affected more. The results indicates that around 57.6% of the patients were brought to normal or prehypertension after the successful treatment with antihypertensive agents. The remaining 42.4% were brought to high normal after the treatment. The study revealed that the physician were treated 44.73% of the patients population with Ramipril alone as mono therapy, 21.05% were treated with Atenolol, 10.52 % were treated with Amlodipine, and other patients are treated with Amiodarone, Prazonin HCL, and Telmisarten etc. The most commonly prescribed combination was found to be Ramipril with Atenolol and it is followed by Ramipril with Amlodipine. The overall percentages of these combinations were found to be 37.25 % and 25.0% respectively.
S Palanisamy *, R Tharabai and A Sumathy
Department of Pharmacy Practice, KMCH College of Pharmacy, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
15 March, 2010
14 June, 2010
09 July, 2010
01 August, 2010